Saturday, August 22, 2009

New Class 2009-2010

Many of you know how much I loved my class last year... So, I was very nervous to be starting with a whole new class because my "babies" went off to middle school. I definitely had 28 kids, well maybe 24-25, that I would have claimed as my own last year. That is how much I loved that group.

Anyways, I woke up Wednesday morning very excited to meet this new group. I got dressed, Matt took a picture of me on heading out the door on the first day, and headed to school to make sure that everything was prepared. At 7:45, the bell rang and all the kids headed to their new classrooms. I saw all their new, very timid, faces as they were lined up outside my classroom. I was their calm face because many of them were very nervous to be in a new classroom with a new teacher. There were a few that were an exception and took to their new classroom and new teacher with ease (maybe a little too much!). I directed them all to their seats and explained what they needed to be doing with their supplies. At this point, they are all being so cute and nervous, and I am thinking that this is going to be another great year. About 45 minutes into the day, a few of my new students began showing their true personalities, and I was astonished! Last year, none of my students began showing their true colors until second semester.

Needless to say that by the end of the day, I was thinking that I would go ahead and take my maternity leave a few months early and just not come back! Matt calmed me down, and I went to school on Thursday with a much better attitude. My kids were great! I left feeling very refreshed and excited about my new class.

Here is a breakdown of my new kiddos:
16 girls
7 boys
4 Marshallese
6 Caucasian
13 Hispanic
4 SPED (including 1 autistic)
23 very sweet kids!

2 comments:

Fryar Family said...

Cori,
God has given you these special children to influence and teach for a short time. No doubts here that you will do an amazing job and send this group away sad to see them go.

Mischelle Coston said...

Hope your year continues to go well! Sounds like a fun group.