Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bed rest...

Well, we've had an interesting last few weeks with this pregnancy... Interesting, to say the least! On Friday, April 29, we went to the BBQ cook-off and then to Patrick's to get a burger for dinner and were planning on coming home to prepare for the garage sale the next morning. We were having a great time. During dinner, I noticed some Braxton Hicks - which is fairly common for me. However, once we got home, I realized they were still coming, so I decided to time them. To our surprise, they were coming every 4-6 minutes and getting more and more uncomfortable. Plus, I was only 33 weeks 6 days.

So, after nearly 2 hours of regular contractions, we decided to call Dr. Pharr (my best friend, Jenn). She said that we should go on into Willow Creek and just let them check me. It's 9:15 on a Friday night, Katie's asleep upstairs, and we have to leave for the hospital. So, we call my parents. My little sister was having a sleepover, so my dad came on over to sit at the house with our sleeping angel.

When he arrived, we left straight for Willow Creek. I fully expected the contractions to stop on the drive there, but they didn't. We got to WC, checked into triage, and were told to go to bed #2. I got dressed, left my urine sample, and laid down. The nurse came in to hook me up to the monitors and sure enough there were those contractions I'd been feeling for the last 2.5 hours.

After talking to the ER doctor, they decided to start an IV. Let me just tell you. The IV is the WORST part about having a baby!! So, of course, I start freaking out inside because I shouldn't have to get an IV unless I'm actually having a baby. Well, the sweet nurse did a wonderful job, and I barely felt the needle going in. She said that they were hoping that with a couple bags of IV fluids that my contractions would stop. At this point, she checks me, and I'm only a fingertip dilated and about 30-40 percent effaced. After 2 bags, they weren't slowing down or stopping. So, they decided to do something else.

She checked me again, and I was now 1.5 cm. dilated and 50 percent effaced. They decide to "sedate" me to see if that will help. So, they give me two different medications - Demerol and Phenagrin. That Demerol was some crazy stuff. The room was spinning, and I felt awful.

Well, that didn't work either. So, they gave me a shot of Brethine. The Brethine slowed the contractions down but made Anna's heart rate and mine go WAY above normal. So, at this point, my contractions were now 10-12 minutes apart, but my heart rate was 140-150 and Anna's was in the 180s. Not good...

Our heart rates ended up going down to a more normal range, and they discharged us at 5:15 a.m with pretty clear instructions of bed rest and pelvic rest. So, we drove home, I laid down on the couch while Matt and my dad got the rest of the stuff ready for the garage sale.

Matt ended up doing the garage sale, and we made quite a bit of extra money! My parents ended up taking K after the garage sale and keeping her, so we could sleep. We slept so good!

So, that was Friday/Saturday... Sunday morning, around 9:00, the contractions started up again. We went to Willow Creek around 10:15 with contractions coming every 2-3 minutes. This time, I just knew I was in actual labor and was expecting to have a baby. I got to the hospital, got hooked up and those painful contractions I was feeling were barely even registering. I was so frustrated.

However, they checked my cervix, and I was now 3 cm. dilated, 60 percent effaced, and Anna was in the -2 station. So, they wouldn't let me leave. They did the exact same procedures as last time, hooked me up to ANOTHER IV, gave me Demerol and Phenagrin, gave me two shots of Brethine, and waited for our heart rates to go down.

Well, I am now 36 weeks 3 days pregnant, so I've made it nearly 3 more weeks being pregnant!!! However, I've been on bed rest which gets very lonely and boring.

Matt has taken over all household chores and taking care of Katie. Our church and my parents have provided meals for us about 3 nights a week - which is such a huge help.

While I'm very glad that Anna is staying put for the time being, I'm SO done with bed rest. I literally can't stand up without having contractions and am feeling very bad for everything everyone is doing for us. So....

Sweet Anna Claire,

Mommy knows that you tried to come out a few weeks ago, but we weren't quite ready for you then. You have now been in Mommy's tummy for longer than your sister was. So, feel free to make your appearance anytime, littlest princess! I love you so much and am VERY ready to meet you!



Lilly, Reid, Matt, and Sara said...

Goodness! Glad you made it this far! I can't wait to meet her!! Let me know if you guys need a meal or if you just need some company!

Oh, and I have been meaning to tell you that I fully planned on coming to your shower but I didn't tell Matt about it and he surprised me with a massage appointment at the same time.

folding bed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.