Sunday, December 14, 2008

Love and Marriage

Last night, I had the privilege of attending the wedding of one of my best friends. Standing through the wedding (apparently, Episcopals stand up a lot during weddings), I had an opportunity to reflect upon my relationship with Cori and upon our marriage. Watching Mary Claire and Andy recite their vows and exchange their rings threw me backward through time to the day when Cori and I said the same words and went through the same actions. I was in love with Cori then... Today, though, I love her in a deeper and more meaningful way than I ever knew that I would. And when I stop to think about that, it occurs to me that if our relationship has grown and developed this much in just two and a half years of marriage, it will be a truly amazing thing to see what we are like together in twenty, thirty, or fifty years.

I am so excited for Mary Claire and for her new marriage, but I know that the best is ahead of them. I would never trade what Cori and I have now for those first few months of marriage. That time was special and new and exciting, but what we have now is... even better. People warn you to enjoy the first few months of marriage because "it all changes when the honeymoon ends." That's true, but I think that--possibly--it all changes for the better. Anyways...

I guess I just wanted to let everyone know how excited and happy Cori and I are for Mary Claire - she is a really special person who has made my time in law school a lot more enjoyable. And I also wanted to reflect on love and marriage...

1 comment:

Mischelle Coston said...

Awww! Don't you love weddings?!