Friday, February 13, 2009

A Deep Sigh of Relief

From Matt
As almost everyone who reads this already knows, Cori and I received absolutely wonderful news yesterday afternoon. After months of clerking and weeks of worrying, I was asked to join the law firm with which I've been working as an associate attorney. This is all, of course, contingent upon my passing the Arkansas Bar Exam in July, but I honestly believe that is a task I can manage. My bosses took me to lunch and, to make a long story short, offered me a salary that was $2,000 less than the amount I was planning on asking them for. I never batted an eye - I accepted immediately!

Cori and I are so relieved that our future can finally start taking form... As stressful as all of this was, though, we both know that it was a very important part of our lives. We both learned a lot about fear, worrying, impatience, trust, and faith... And about being able to let go of the reins and turn things over to God... And about one another and the importance of having someone in your life upon whom you can rely at all times. I don't think I could count the number of nights that Cori, whom you all know does not like to stay up late, stayed up with me while I talked and stressed and worried and figured and planned. She was a true blessing over the last few months, and I (again) realized how lucky I am to have such a supportive and understanding wife!

Now - the excitement begins! We were lying in bed last night and started talking about all the things we can finally start talking about: kids, a house, a dog, our Mexico vacation, new budgets, paying off student loans, and a dozen other things. It was great to be able to discuss those things with such a sense of security! I know... Don't count your chicken before their hatched; don't put the horse in front of the cart. I still have to pass the Bar... But, again, I can manage that. The Bar tests for "minimal competency." I don't know exactly what that means, but I really do think that I would qualify. We'll see! Anyways...

Thank you to everyone who thought about us and prayed for us... We appreciate your support! And we can't wait to let you know how things shape up for us over the next several months!

1 comment:

Lilly, Reid, Matt, and Sara said...

Congratulations and calm down there sparky!! Just kidding, we are very happy for you both.